3 tbsp olive oil
480g mince – lamb or beef
240g shallots, diced
450g aubergine, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large eggs
148g plain natural yoghurt
60g shredded mozzarella cheese
600g chopped tinned tomatoes
1 tsp fresh or dried coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 260°C and line a large baking tray with foil. Lightly grease with a small amount of olive oil. Take yoghurt and eggs out and allow them to come to room temperature.
2. Slice the aubergine into rounds or strips around 1cm thick and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper then roast in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn each slice and roast for a further 10 minutes. Each slice will shrink during the roasting process so don’t worry if they appear too big.
3. Whilst the aubergine is roasting heat the rest of the olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Brown the shallots in the pan then add the meat. Brown the mince stirring occasionally to break up the meat then add the garlic and brown for a further 1 minute before draining off any excess liquid from the pan.
4. Add the tomatoes, coriander, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper to taste then cook uncovered for around 10 minutes.
5. Lower the oven temperature to 190°C and grease a baking dish with a small amount of olive oil. Lay half of the aubergine slices to cover the bottom of the dish the spread the meat mixture over. Top the meat mixture with the remaining slices of aubergine.
6. In a jug whisk together the eggs and natural yoghurt until creamy then pour over the aubergine. Sprinkle the top with cheese and bake, uncovered, for 40 mins until the cheese is golden.
7. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for around 10 mins. Try not to cut into it whilst it is still very hot. Cut into 10 portions and serve with a portion of spinach or mixed leaves.