1 large cauliflower
200ml double cream
60ml full fat milk
250g extra strong cheddar, grated
4 rashers bacon (optional)
1. Chop the cauliflower and add to a large pan of salted boiling water.
2. Cook for 5 minutes then leave to drain in a colander.
3. If using, cook the bacon (grill or fry), roughly chop and put to one side.
4. Add the double cream to a pan and heat gently until just starting to boil and thicken.
5. Stir in 200g of cheese.
6. When the cheese has melted add the milk gradually, stirring, to get your desired consistency.
7. Add the cauliflower back to the large pan (no water) and pour over the sauce to coat.
8. Put the cauliflower into a baking dish and sprinkle over the remaining 50g of cheese.
9. Place in a medium-hot oven until the cheese is bubbling and the top is starting to brown slightly (15-20 minutes).
10. Add the bacon on top and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.