2 shallots, peeled & chopped
100g mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, torn
Sea salt & black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1 mozzarella ball, roughly chopped
100g strong cheddar, grated
1. Heat 1tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan and soften the shallots over medium heat.
2. Add the mushroom and cook until beginning to soften (use more oil if needed).
3. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
4. Drain most of the liquid from the tinned tomatoes and add to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper, keep on a low heat whilst you cook the aubergine.
5. Slice the aubergine into rounds about 1/2cm thick and use the remaining olive oil to brush each side.
6. Cook the aubergine in batches in a hot griddle pan to soften and colour, turning half way through (2-3 minutes each side). Place on a plate to uselater.
7. Take an oven dish and add a layer of the tomato sauce to just cover the base.
8. Layer half the aubergine on the sauce and top with the tomato slices.
9. Scatter the chopped mozzarella on the tomatoes.
10. Use the remaining aubergine to add another layer.
11. Stir the basil through the remaining tomato sauce and pour over the aubergine.
12. Top with the grated cheddar cheese.
13. Place in a pre-heated oven on medium heat for 30-40 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
14. Serve with a fresh green salad.